The Calamity Mod and much of its contents have lore associated with them. While most of it is unnecessary to the central gameplay, it can be read and understood as a means to make the world feel more alive and give bosses and items more purpose. Most of the lore is a heavy work-in-progress, and as such, information shown here is prone to change.
Lore Items are items with a piece of lore written into them, and are dropped by their respective boss on their first kill. They are also able to be crafted using Pearl Shards and the boss's respective trophy. The descriptions of these items are insights and commentary on both locations the player has been to and bosses the player has slain.
Certain items contain lore in their descriptions, hinting at or stating pieces of the overarching story. Dedicated content is usually excluded from this list.
|Abandoned Wulfrum Helmet||This rather flimsy armor was commonly worn by scavengers and looters|
Its versatility and common nature led it to be used as currency in trades
|Absolute Zero||Ancient blade imbued with the Archmage of Ice's magic.|
|Astreal Defeat||Ethereal bow of the tyrant king's mother |
The mother strongly discouraged acts of violence throughout her life
Though she kept this bow close to protect her family in times of great disaster
|Cinders of Lament||The Witch, a sinner of her own making, |
Within her mind her demon lies, ever patient, until the end of time.
|Coral Spout||Knowledge is important, and the Old Sea Kingdom’s many scribes knew it had to be preserved at any cost. |
Their libraries were much larger than most, because of the water-proof stone tablets occupying them.
|Cnidarian||From looking at their less sapient brethren, the Old Kingdom’s inhabitants adapted tools and weapons designed for underwater efficiency. |
The electric properties of ghost bells remain useful even after death, having been commonly used as conduits.
|Exoblade||Ancient blade of Yharim's weapons and armors expert, Draedon|
|The First Shadowflame||It is said that in the past, Prometheus descended from the heavens to grant man fire.|
If that were true, then it is surely the demons of hell that would have risen from below to do the same.
|Fishbone Boomerang||Though the evaporating Sea Kingdom fought a losing battle, its proud inhabitants did not go down easily. |
As a last resort, they had to fashion weapons from the skeletons of dead animals.
|Gatling Laser||Large laser cannon used primarily by Yharim's fleet and base defense force|
|Gruesome Eminence||The spirits of the amalgam could never pass on to their desired afterlife, |
Tainted and melded by rage as they were.
|Heavy Laser Rifle||Laser weapon used by heavy infantry units in Yharim's army|
|Metastasis||A contemplated possible future of the cosmic serpent, |
A gruesome warning for those blinded by the hunger for power.
|Phaseslayer||A rough prototype of the Murasama blade, it is formed entirely from laser energy.|
|Pulse Rifle||Draedon's former pulse rifle, used in emergencies for creations which turned against him.|
|Pulse Turret Remote||A device used to defend against the weaker, less cognizant rogue creations of Draedon.|
|Redtide Spear||The people of the sea were adept hunters, but they abhorred unnecessary violence. |
Unfortunately, neighboring nations were brutish, so they fashioned their tools for war.
|Reed Blowgun||The Old Sea Kingdom never truly sought to expand beyond its initial borders. |
However, they had a perfect track record of repelling any invasions, thanks to their insurmountable advantage in the water.
|Rock||The first object Xeroc ever created|
|Rune of Kos||A relic of the profaned flame|
Contains the power hunted relentlessly by the sentinels of the cosmic devourer
|Terminus||A ritualistic artifact, thought to have brought upon The End many millennia ago |
Sealed away in the abyss, far from those that would seek to misuse it
|Wulfrum Blunderbuss||"The good thing about Wulfrum is that while it breaks fast, it can be reused even faster"|
"In fact, it is quite common for a robot to be turned into ammo right after it stops functioning"
|Wulfrum Prosthesis||Technology and magic have been forever locked in an arms race of imitation and retaliation|
At times they work in tandem, as seen in certain prosthetic limbs
Some vanilla Town NPC dialogue also hints at characters or events in the mod's lore. The mod's own Town NPCs also have dialogue centered around their own roles in the lore.
|Guide||In Hardmode||"Could you be so kind as to, ah...check hell for me...? I left someone I kind of care about down there."|
|If Providence has been defeated||"Seems like extinguishing that butterfly caused its life to seep into the hallowed areas, try taking a peek there and see what you can find!"|
|"I've heard there is a portal of antimatter absorbing everything it can see in the dungeon, try using the Rune of Kos there!"|
|Merchant||If the Moon Lord has been defeated||"Each night seems only more foreboding than the last. I feel unthinkable terrors are watching your every move."|
|Dryad||If the Astral Infection exists||"That starborne illness sits upon this land like a blister. Do even more vile forces of corruption exist in worlds beyond?"|
|Angler||If the Brimstone Elemental has been defeated||"When you defeated the ancient goddess, her children fell in the lava as a result of the aftermath. Rumors say they mutated a fish, and I'd love if you fetched one for my new lava-filled fish tank."|
|Clothier||If the Moon Lord has been defeated||"Those screams...I'm not sure why, but I feel like a nameless fear has awoken in my heart."|
|"I can faintly hear ghostly shrieks from the dungeon...and not ones I'm familiar with at all. Just what is going on in there?"|
|Tax Collector||If the Brimstone Elemental has not been defeated||"Perhaps with all that time you've got you could check those old ruins? Certainly something of value in it for you!"|
|Pirate||If Leviathan and Anahita have not been defeated||"Aye, I've heard of a mythical creature in the oceans, singing with an alluring voice. Careful when yer fishin out there."|
|If the Aquatic Scourge has been defeated||"I have to thank ye again for takin' care of that sea serpent. Or was that another one..."|
|Cyborg||If the Moon Lord has been defeated||"Draedon? He's...a little 'high octane' if you know what I mean."|
- The first Mechanical Boss killed will drop the Mechanical Boss lore item and their respective lore item.
- The last Sentinel of the Devourer and Exo Mech killed will drop the Sentinels of the Devourer and the Exo Mechanical Trio lore items, respectively.
- The official lore of Terraria does not influence the Calamity Mod lore and it is treated as a separate canon.
- Canonically, the Lore items were written by the Tyrant King, Yharim.
- This is especially apparent with the mention of controlling Queen Bees, knowledge of the Mechanical Bosses' history, apparent hate for The Underworld and Brimstone Crag, mention of the Ravager being built in an attempt to halt his onslaught, referring to Yharon as a "faithful companion" and referring to Supreme Calamitas as one of his cohorts. It becomes even more apparent in the final line of Supreme Calamitas's lore item, where he directly addresses the player and tells them to come and face him.
- The phrase, "Your impending doom approaches..." on the Lunatic Cultist Lore Item is a nod to a similar Status Message when the Moon Lord is being summoned.
- Only a few biomes have Lore items, meaning the rest likely have a Lore item to be implemented or do not have connections with the Lore.
- Before the 1.5.0.001 update, Lore Items would grant different stat boosts if favorited in the player's inventory. This was inspired by the use of memories in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice to boost attack power.
- The fact that the Blood Moon lore item drops from the Lunatic Cultist, and the mention of the "wealth of cosmic understanding" that some people learned from it, may imply that the Lunatic Cultist got its powers from the Blood Moon.
- King Slime's Lore Item mentioning that only a fool could be caught by King Slime suggests that the Ninja inside got caught by it during the attempt to hunt it down.
- The Bestiary, which provides in-universe knowledge about most of the mod's NPCs.
- Draedon's Logs, which give additional insight into the mod's world from the perspective of Draedon.
|Combat||Damage Reduction • Defense damage • Enchantment • Hit Sounds • Immunity frames • Lifesteal • Minions • Proficiency • Rogue|
|Environment||Biome backgrounds • Events • Music • Status messages|
|Events||Acid Rain • Boss Rush|
|Items||Alternative crafting ingredients • Charge • Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Drops • Modifiers • Rarity • Recipes • Vanilla item recipes|
|Game||Bestiary • Boss Health Bar • Configuration options • Difficulty Modes (Death Mode • Revengeance Mode) • Fishing • Game controls • Lore • Speedrun Timer • Vanilla changes|
|Player||Adrenaline Meter • Aggro • Buffs and Debuffs • Death prevention • Defense • Rage Meter|