The Hive Tumor is a rare Pre-Hardmode stationary enemy that spawns in The Corruption biome. When killed, it will summon The Hive Mind. The Hive Tumor has abnormally high life for Pre-Hardmode, ensuring that early players won't accidentally summon the boss.
The Hive Tumor can be prevented from spawning by using the Anti-Tumor Ointment.
The Hive Tumor can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer and its upgrades.
- The Hive Mind will spawn directly where the Hive Tumor was after killing it, which means that unprepared players might be taken by surprise.
- Despite being classified as an enemy, minions will not attack the tumor, exactly like with the Perforator Cyst. This is to prevent players who use summon weapons from accidentally spawning The Hive Mind.
- Hive Tumors spawn three times as often after defeating the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu if The Hive Mind has not been defeated yet.
- Additionally, spawn rates are reduced by 90% in Hardmode.
- The Bestiary entry for the Hive Tumor: "This tumor acts as the brain of the putrid wasteland, being all that is left of the minds of the slain gods that lay there. The creatures of the Corruption exist to protect it, and those who attempt to harm it rarely live to tell the tale."
- Renamed from "Hive Cyst" to "Hive Tumor".
- Can no longer be damaged by Fallen Stars.
- Fixed an issue where it would not spawn during a Blood Moon.
- No longer spawns while events are active.
- Now vulnerable to cold, sickness, and heat debuffs.
- No longer spawns while the Celestial Pillars event is active.
- Can now spawn on Ebonsand and Ebonstone.
- 220.127.116.11: Now spawns more frequently after either vanilla evil boss has been defeated, but before either Calamity evil boss has been defeated.
- 1.4.2.002: Increased spawn rate.
- 1.3.3.011: Can no longer spawn if The Hive Mind is active.
- Nerfed health from 2000 to 1000.
- Can now spawn at any point of the game instead of only after defeating Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu.
- 1.2.0.001: Now spawns 4x less often in Hardmode.
- 18.104.22.1684: Now affected by gravity.
- 22.214.171.1244: Now uses vanilla enemy spawn chance instead of custom one.
- 126.96.36.199: Increased spawnrate.
- 188.8.131.52: Decreased spawnrate.
- 184.108.40.206: Introduced.