Great Sand Shark
|Environment||Sandstorm – Desert|
|Damage|| 100 / 160 / 200 / 224 / 240 / 300 / 336 (Contact)|
80 / 160 / 240 (Sand Blasts)
|Max Life||8,000 / 12,800 / 17,600 / 19,200 / 26,400|
|Debuff duration||10 seconds (Contact)|
|Debuff tooltip||Cannot regenerate life|
The desert sand shifts intensely!
The Great Sand Shark is a Hardmode mini boss that spawns during a Sandstorm after killing 10 Sand Sharks once Plantera has been defeated. Alternatively, it can be summoned manually by using a Sandstorm's Core in a Desert at any time. While it swims through sand like the more common Sand Shark, it has a much greater variety of attacks on top of its increased size, speed, health and damage, making it a dangerous foe. It always drops a Grand Scale when defeated, which can be used to upgrade various weapons into more powerful versions of themselves.
It typically performs horizontal leaps towards the player's direction, but it may also perform a vertical leap aiming straight for the player. When it leaps out of the sand, it may also cause an eruption of Sand Blasts. It is also capable of redirecting itself while in a leap and executing a charge in midair. If the player strays too far away from it, it will perform a series of very long charges until it returns to their vicinity.
|Sand Shark||Upon reaching 50% / 75% health.|
- All Sand Shark alternate variants will also count towards spawning the Great Sand Shark, including Fusion Feeders.
- Even Sand Sharks that are summoned by the Great Sand Shark itself will count towards spawning one in, so if the player wanted to fight another one, they can let the Great Sand Shark live for a while and kill some of the Sand Sharks it spawns.
- Despite being intended to be fought after Plantera, the Great Sand Shark can be fought earlier if the player also defeats the Ravager earlier than intended.
- The Bestiary entry for the Great Sand Shark: "These intelligent predators once swam the shores of the upper Ilmeran Sea, with many being trained to hold back Yharim’s forces. Yet when the day came, the sand sharks were barely even a distraction for the Supreme Witch, with this particular specimen surviving only by making a hasty retreat."
- The Great Sand Shark and its associated items (with the exceptions of the Sandslasher and Sand Shark Tooth Necklace), were implemented based on a community suggestion made by ijones72 and ThatGuy on the mod's Discord server.
- If the Boss Checklist Mod is installed, its unique despawn message will be "The apex predator of the sands disappears between the dunes..."
- 2.0.3.007: Added new roar, hit, and death sounds.
- Changed "into" to "between" and replaced the ellipsis with a period for its Boss Checklist Mod despawn message.
- Now properly displays vanilla debuff colors and Hunter Potion effects.
- 2.0.2.001: Now drops its Relic at 100% chance instead of 25%.
- 1.5.1.001: Now vulnerable to cold, water, and sickness debuffs.
- Nerfed defense from 60 to 40.
- Increased Bleeding duration from 4 seconds to 5, but it no longer inflicts Feral Bite.
- Increased minimum coin drop amount from 5 to 10 .
- 1.4.5.001: No longer immune to War Cleave.
- 1.4.4.002: Fixed lag issues in Multiplayer.
- 1.4.3.002: No longer immune to Astral Infection, Celled, Dryad's Bane, God Slayer Inferno, or Oiled.
- Now has a map icon.
- Nerfed contact damage from 100 / 180 / 225 / 258 to 100 / 180 / 206 / 223 .
- Nerfed blast damage from 80 / 160 / 200 / 229 to 80 / 160 / 184 / 198 .
- Fusion Feeder kills no longer spawn it.
- Now drops 1 Forbidden Fragment at 100% chance.
- Added Boss Checklist support for defeating it.
- 188.8.131.52: Any variants of the Sand Shark will now count for summoning it.
- 184.108.40.206: No longer immune to Frostburn.
- Decreased the size of sand blast explosions.
- Can now only spawn after defeating Plantera instead of either Calamitas or Plantera.
- 220.127.116.11: Sand blasts now have afterimages.
- 18.104.22.168: Fixed subsequent boss natural spawns taking significantly quicker to activate.
- 1.4.2.001: Now has afterimages.
- Now able to send a barrage of sand blasts into the air every few seconds, and no longer takes 50% damage from Crystal Bullet shards and Holy Arrow stars.
- Lowered the amount of Sand Sharks that need to be killed to summon it from 20 to 10, however, subsequent summons will still require 20.
- 1.3.4.001: Now takes 50% damage from Crystal Bullet shards and Holy Arrow stars.
- 1.3.3.011: Introduced.