Difficulty refers to how challenging the gameplay is. There are two additional options to difficulty within the Calamity Mod, both of which increase the difficulty of the game. These difficulties are available from a separate UI element available when a player has entered a world, and are compatible with the base difficulties in Terraria.
Revengeance Mode is the intended first time experience, though this isn't a requirement for playing the mod - players should use whichever will result in them enjoying their time the most. However, players should bear in mind that Revengeance Mode's difficulty assumes they have completed the vanilla game at least once.
The Difficulty Indicator is a UI element that is located below the map style selector and to the left of the player's health meter while the player opens their inventory. It holds a rune slot which can be interacted to change difficulty of the world, if the player is in Expert Mode or above, and no bosses are alive.
Upon starting a new world, the icon will glow brightly until it is interacted with.
|Currently Selected||Click to select a difficulty mode|
|Locked||Higher difficulty modes can only be toggled in Expert Mode or above (When in Journey or Classic Mode)|
|You cannot change the rules now! (When a boss is alive)|
|None||The classic Terraria experience, with no Calamity difficulty changes|
|Revengeance||The intended Calamity experience!|
Hold the 'Shift' key for more information
Enables the Adrenaline mechanic. You gain Adrenaline while fighting bosses. Getting hit drops Adrenaline back to 0
When Adrenaline is maxed, press Adrenaline Mode for a large damage boost
Enables the Rage mechanic. You gain Rage when in proximity of enemies or by using certain items
When Rage is maxed, press Rage Mode for a temporary damage boost
Most foes have higher stats and more aggressive AIs
Bosses have new AI mechanics, new phases, and will drop Master Mode loot. Enemies spawn more frequently
This mode is more difficult than Expert. Be sure to prepare for the challenge
|Death||A tougher challenge for the more experienced, or for those that want a step up from Revengeance Mode|
Hold the 'Shift' key for more information
All foes will pose a much larger threat with highly aggressive AIs and increased damage
Bosses have substantially harder AI changes. Enemies are even more numerous and can easily overwhelm you
Debuffs are especially lethal and the Abyss is significantly more dangerous
Vigilance and tenacity are crucial to survival
|Classic||Mostly identical to vanilla, with many vanilla changes, including Expert-exclusive items being able to be dropped in Classic Mode.|
Cannot enable Revengeance and Death Modes.
|Expert||Mostly identical to vanilla, with some additional vanilla changes to the difficulty that are configurable.|
|Revengeance||The intended Calamity experience, introducing new mechanics, boss AI, and other assorted changes.|
|Death||A more difficult challenge for those looking to prove themselves. Not recommended for a first playthrough.|
Not intended as distinct difficulty options but still fully accessible and freely usable by players seeking an augmented experience.
|Journey||Allows for the research and duplication of items and enabling powers usually inaccessible to the player.|
Can activate Expert and Master Modes through the difficulty slider.
Scaling the slider to Expert Mode or higher unlocks the difficulty indicator.
|For the worthy||Can be combined with any other difficulty mode for a significantly more challenging experience.|
This increases the vanilla main world difficulty by one level, allowing access to the difficulty indicator by default.
The Get fixed boi world contains various elements that will be considered unfair, play at your own risk.
|Get fixed boi|
|Master||Further increases the difficulty of any core mode, though isn't supported as one itself.|
In For the worthy and Get fixed boi worlds, the Master Mode difficulty becomes "Legendary" mode, which buffs various enemy stats.
|Revengeance + Master|
|Death + Master|
- Changed Death Indicator's tooltip line to say "All foes will pose a much larger threat with highly aggressive AIs and increased damage" instead of "All foes will pose a much larger threat with aggressive AI and increased damage".
- Changed Revengeance Indicator's tooltip line to say "Most foes have higher stats and more aggressive AIs" instead of "Most foes have higher stats and deal more damage".
- Overhauled the Difficulty Indicator, it now serves as the only way to enable Revengeance Mode and Death Mode on a world.
- The Difficulty Indicator will glow until it is pressed the first time.
- When pressed, the indicator will create a dropdown menu with three options between the world's vanilla difficulty, Revengeance Mode, and Death Mode.
- Each option will have a corresponding icon, which can be hovered over with the mouse cursor for more information.
- Additionally, holding down the ⇧ Left Shift key will expand the descriptions even further.
- Additionally, there is a fourth option, indicated with the now removed Malice Mode icon, that explains that Malice Mode was removed from the game.
- Selecting one of the three primary options will apply the difficulty and close the menu.
- The menu can also be closed by closing the inventory screen.
- Enabling or disabling Revengeance Mode and Death Mode is prohibited while a boss is alive or if the world is on Classic Mode.
- 1.5.1.001: Resprited the base Difficulty Indicator UI.
- Difficulty indicator runes now display a tooltip when hovered over.
- Replaced the Defiled rune with a Malice rune.
- 1.4.5.006: Introduced the difficulty indicator.
|Combat||Damage Reduction • Defense damage • Enchantment • Hit Sounds • Immunity frames • Lifesteal • Minions • Rogue|
|Environment||Biome backgrounds • Events • Music|
|Events||Acid Rain • Boss Rush|
|Game||Bestiary • Configuration options • Difficulty Modes (Death Mode • Revengeance Mode) • Fishing • Game controls • Lore • Secret world seeds (For the worthy • Get fixed boi) • Vanilla changes|
|Items||Alternative crafting ingredients • Charge • Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Drops • Modifiers • Rarity • Recipes • Vanilla item recipes|
|Player||Adrenaline Meter • Aggro • Buffs and Debuffs • Death prevention • Defense • Rage Meter|
|UI||Boss Health Bar • Cooldown Rack • Speedrun Timer • Status messages|