"A toxic downpour falls over the wasteland seas!"
|Progress bar icon|
The Acid Rain is a weather event added by the Calamity Mod that occurs in the Sulphurous Sea biome. It has a 1/360,000 chance of occurring every frame (1/6000 every second) once the Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated, or can be summoned manually through the use of a Caustic Tear. The natural occurrences can be prevented by using the Broken Water Filter.
The event has multiple levels of difficulty that are encountered at different stages in progression similar to the Old One's Army, with each tier unlocking after the player has defeated a specific boss. The first tier of the event will be unlocked after the Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated, the next tier will unlock after the Aquatic Scourge has been defeated and the final tier will unlock after the Polterghast has been defeated. Each tier features the introduction of new enemies as well as buffs and new behaviors to existing enemies.
If Aquatic Scourge has been defeated:
If Polterghast has been defeated:
|From Acid Eels, Nuclear Toads, Radiators,|
From Nuclear Toads:
From Flak Crabs:
From Sulphurous Skaters:
|From Cragmaw Mire:
From Nuclear Terrors:
|If Polterghast has not been defeated:
If Polterghast has been defeated:
Unlike other weather events, the Acid Rain has a progress bar and can be completed. To complete the event, the player must gain 90 points in the first tier, 115 in the second, and 140 in the third. In Multiplayer, the number of points required is calculated by the expression
(amount in singleplayer) * ln(total players + e - 1)), rounded down, based on how many players are in the world at the start of the event.
If the player doesn't kill any enemies within the time span of four minutes, the event will automatically cancel and progress is reset for the event. The event can also be prematurely ended with a Torrential Tear.
The following is a list of enemies in the Acid Rain event and the amount of points gained from each enemy per kill. Minibosses are marked in bold.
|Enemy||Points per kill|
|Tier 1||Tier 2||Tier 3|
- Acidwood Trees will contain Sulphuric Scales when shaken.
- Sulphurous Crates will contain Sulphuric Scales.
Tier 2 or 3
- Acidwood Trees will contain Corroded Fossils when shaken.
- Sulphurous Crates will contain Corroded Fossils, Belching Saxophone, Flak Toxicannon, Nuclear Fuel Rod, Skyfin Bombers, Slithering Eels, Spent Fuel Container, and Sulphurous Grabber.
- While the Acid Rain event is active, Rain will be active across the rest of the world.
- The event's enemies will override the Sulphurous Sea's enemies, similarly to Meteor Heads.
- Other weather events such as the Blood Moon can overlap with the Acid Rain event.
- After the player has defeated the Eye of Cthulhu, the Acid Rain is guaranteed to begin the next time they visit the Sulphurous Sea. This only occurs once.
- If the Eye of Cthulhu has never been defeated, the event still becomes available once Hardmode begins.
- This event is very dangerous for early game players due to the high spawnrates of enemies.
- Due to the event only occurring on the far side of the world, it's highly recommended the player sets a spawn close to the Sulphurous Sea or uses a Magic Conch in order to save time in the case that they die.
- The Acid Rain's theme is corrosion!, which was composed by wiki editor RoverdriveX.
- The final tier's theme is nuclear monsoon, which was composed by PinpinNeon
- It is the second event added to the Calamity Mod, following the Boss Rush.
- Some of the event's enemies are based on extinct aquatic lifeforms, such as the Orthocera and Trilobite.
- Several designs of the event's enemies are also based on artworks submitted for a Sulphurous Sea enemy design contest on the Calamity Mod's art discord server.
- The event used to be a variation of the Rain event in the Sulphurous Sea, similar to Blizzards in the Snow biome.
- Prior to that, it was known as "Irradiated Rain" and replaced Rain after the Moon Lord was defeated.
- 2.0.1.002: Updated Boss Checklist portraits for tiers 1 and 3.
- Now plays the "Thunderstorm" music track instead of the "Solar Eclipse" music track if the Calamity Music Mod is not installed.
- Fixed Tier 3 being displayed at the incorrect point in progression on the Boss Checklist mod.
- Increased tier 1 kill requirement from 90 to 110, tier 2 kill requirement from 115 to 135, and tier 3 kill requirement from 140 to 170.
- Decreased time required without killing enemies to end the event from 4 minutes to 2.5.
- 1.4.5.002: Fixed a bug that would end the event prematurely while enemies were being fought due to natural rain ending.
- Can now occur if the player defeats Aquatic Scourge before defeating Eye of Cthulhu or Wall of Flesh.
- Reduced the enemy kill count requirements for tiers 2 and 3.
- If no Acid Rain enemies are killed for 4 minutes while the event is ongoing, the event will stop.
- Tier 2 is now forced 10 seconds after defeating Aquatic Scourge.
- Reduced the amount of kills to clear the first two tiers from 180 kills to 90 in Tier 1 and 125 in Tier 2.
- 1.4.4.001: Introduced.
|Combat||Damage Reduction • Defense damage • Enchantment • Hit sounds • Immunity frames • Lifesteal • Minions • Rogue|
|Environment||Biome backgrounds • Events • Music|
|Events||Acid Rain • Boss Rush|
|Game||Bestiary • Configuration options • Difficulty Modes (Death Mode • Revengeance Mode) • Fishing • Game controls • Lore • Secret world seeds (For the worthy • Get fixed boi) • Vanilla changes|
|Items||Alternative crafting ingredients • Charge • Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Drops • Modifiers • Rarity • Recipes • Vanilla item recipes|
|Player||Adrenaline Meter • Aggro • Buffs and Debuffs • Death prevention • Defense • Rage Meter|
|UI||Boss Health Bar • Cooldown Rack • Speedrun Timer • Status messages • Tips|